Welcome back to week 3 of the Fall 2017 One Room Challenge. This week, we actually made real progress on the renovation. The old space was demolished and rough plumbing and electrical was installed and prepped for tiling which will be showcased in next week’s progress report.
Prepping for Demo
Prepping for demo is VERY important as any level of renovation is dirty and dusty. Even though this is just the master bathroom, the dust invades the rest of the house, the adjoining master bedroom, the closet, the hallway and even the downstairs rooms have a layer of dust settling on it. I saw it on my glass dining table…yuck!
First thing I did was add carpet mask to carpeted areas from the entry which is the staircase, all the way up to my master bathroom. Although we don’t wear shoes in the house, I can’t expect the contractors to remove their shoes while they are working. I know people who insist on shoe removal and in the case of renovations, it’s just not safe. They need to have shoes on because it protects their feet and helps them from slipping as they carry stuff in and out of your house. Booties or shoe covers are also a no-no in this case because they could slip and fall and that is a huge liability! Don’t chance it!
So, to help save my carpet from being overly trashed, I laid carpet mask down to protect it. Carpet mask is basically a big clear sticker that is made specifically for carpet to temporarily protect it. You may have seen it at open houses when they don’t want to ruin brand new carpet with all the traffic. Once construction is done, I can remove it and hopefully it won’t look too bad. I am planning to have the carpets cleaned but this will eliminate the extra grime that comes from shoes being in a construction site.
Trust me, I purposely folded up my bath mats so they wouldn’t step on it (one of my all time pet peeves) and what happens? they step on the folded up bath mat! I have big black shoe marks on the rubber side…arrgghhh!!!
Additionally, I covered all the furniture in the master bedroom with plastic and immediately after demo, you could see the layer of fine dust on everything. So, as much as you can prepare for the mess, cleaning up afterwards will be so much easier.
Demolition and Progress
Here’s a look at the tub/shower space immediately after demo... down to the studs!
We got lucky. As you can see, the tiled walls were able to be removed in panels which means less small debris!
Here is the space with the new tub in place…
and with the durock installed in the wet areas above the tub surround. In case you’re not aware, there is regular drywall or sheetrock and then there’s cement board which has different brands, including Durock which is what was used here. Lining the walls with the cement board is required by code for all wet areas such as tub/shower spaces because it is moisture and mold resistant.
Here it is on the shower faucet side. The shower head was raised to accommodate the new shower system that is going in as was the tub spout since this new tub is taller than the old one. These are all important points to keep in mind when you are remodeling your own space…the size of new materials versus old materials. If you just assume everything is the same, you will be in for a big surprise in the end.
So happy to have the cement board on the floor…immediately made the space feel so much cleaner!
Here is the vanity area. Rough electrical was pulled for the recessed light on the ceiling above the sink and wall sconces on either side of a mirror. I’m also contemplating how to address the medicine cabinet space.
With the new wall sconces, opening up a medicine cabinet will be difficult, but I want to take advantage of the recessed wall storage. I like how Rebecca Robeson of Robeson Design addressed this space in one of her recent bath renovations. I probably won’t tile the back of it, but I am considering having wood shelves made to match the new vanity and painting the drywall niche.
Here’s a sneak peek at my new custom floating vanity… My cabinet maker confirmed with me on the size which is 60″W and when I remeasured the opening post demo, it’s actually 59.5″W…WTH?! Why do builder’s do that? Since this is being installed between two walls, we don’t have any wiggle room. If the cabinet is any bigger, it won’t fit into the space so luckily I caught it early enough that he can make the necessary modification. What a pain!
And this was the demo mess in my garage. Happy to get rid of the old and bring in the new…
So that’s what I have for you this week. Nothing too exciting in terms of aesthetics, but this part of a renovation is exciting because you start to see the space transform and progress always makes me happy. I’m actually out of town this week and I can’t wait to see the tiling progress when I get back. We’ll actually be experiencing it together real time…almost!
Thanks for following the progress. See you next week!